Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wilderness Boy and the City Girl

That's the wilderness boy...

Here's the city girl...

Okay don't get me wrong, I love the outdoors, a good hike, the sunshine... But I've discovered something about myself on this trip. Maybe it's just the difference between men and women.. I don't know. I don't think I'm very adventurous! I like things the way they are in my normal life- even on vacation. Aaron was laughing at me when we arrived here because I started organizing our food and checking out our kitchen area. It was like I was setting up house, as he stated. I just couldn't stand the idea of everything not being in it's place.

Then this morning we went on a hike. We got off to a really late start and were only about to go about 3 miles. Anyway, after walking around for a mile looking for the start of the trail, we finally found it. The trail was not marked very well, except by blue spray paint every so often. And sometimes, it was a "Y" which meant you could take one of two trails. That decision was just WAY too much for me! Having an option of which trail to take? Which one was the RIGHT one? The easier one? Aaron on the other hand, didn't even want to stick to the trails- he wanted to make his own trails! That is until I told him that's how people get eaten by bears! I was freaking out! Not follow the trail? Are you crazy? His complaint: Too many people on the marked trail. What's wrong with that? That way we KNOW we're on the right trail; safety in numbers, right?

Well, as much as I moaned and whined about his directions, I have to give it to him, we made it out the same way we came in, and in the same amount of time. Why is it Aaron's sense of direction is impeccable in the wilderness, and mine is not? Yet, give me a city, a map, and I can sense the direction to the mall!?? It must be the difference between men and women...

No comments: