Saturday, June 7, 2008

Running



About a year ago, I (Jennifer) ran my first race. It was three miles, and I thought I would never make it! When I crossed the finish line (and saw Aaron there cheering me on) I was hooked! I haven't stopped running since! I signed up and joined a training group who meet twice a week to run. Turns out, I love it! I think, for me, I need a social aspect to running- that's why the running group has been so great! I don't enjoy running just to run. I enjoy running with people, the feeling of competing against and with people.


Since last September, I've entered several other races ranging from 3 miles to 9 miles. I've ran on the beautiful cliffs of the California shore line, on the streets of our state capitol, and in desertous ( I don't even think it's a word) Bakersfield. Today, Aaron and I ran a 10K together (well I say together, but he was about 3 minutes ahead of me the whole time). It was a difficult run. There weren't many people running, and I wondered many times if I was the last one running- if I was the ONLY one running. It's funny, it doesn't seem to matter HOW many times I run, I get emotional EVERYTIME I run a race. It happened again today!

While I'm running the last little bit, my mind starts to reflect on the fact that I am doing something that I never thought I would do. Then I start to think about how far I've come (from laying on the couch night after night, to running weekly), and I start to get teary eyed. Let me say, crying and running- not a good combination! My throat gets all closed up, and I start to have trouble breathing. Which is about the point I have to refocus my thoughts, tell myself that I can't cry until I finish the race, and keep running!

I'm so grateful for Southwest Health Center for the training and workouts over the last year, for pushing me beyond my limits, and not letting me give up when I was discouraged. I'm so grateful for Leah and the Total Woman Running group. Without them welcoming me into thier group, I never would have ran half of what I have. I'm so grateful for the friends I've made through this group! I'm grateful for Aaron supporting and encouraging me- sometimes even when I didn't WANT it. And I'm grateful for David Crowder, who- if it wasn't for his praise songs, I wouldn't make it through any race! Rock on DCB!!

Okay enough sentimental-ness- on a side note- do you know how happy I will be to get out of my 20s? Seriously! When you run you compete with people in you age group- 10 years. Do you seriously think a 28 year old has a chance against a 21 year old? Give me a break! These girls (and they are just girls) haven't reached that age of 25 yet where their metabolism has suddenly taken a long vacation! Just wait till I get in the 30-39 year range! I try to put myself in the 70-79 age range everytime, but they don't seem to believe me ever! Maybe there, I'd have a chance of placing in the top three! Okay, I'm done now, I'm ready for some Mexican Food!


Happy running!

No comments: