Sunday, June 22, 2008

"Preschoolers Invade"... and it's NOT pretty

Okay, I don't know what I was thinking after last year's VBS- it must have been the year in between where I forgot how terrible it was- but I agreed to be the Preschool Director for VBS. The planning, decorating, running around to get ready was a piece of cake. I loved it- and my room looks awesome- well it did until the preschoolers came in. I think I remember agreeing to do VBS under 2 conditions: 1. that my sister (who has preschooler experience) help me and 2. that there only be worker's kids in attendance as to limit the number of kids- this isn't free babysitting here! Well, my sister conviently got rear ended yesterday and has had to bail on me, and there are 13 kids enrolled- not all of whom have parents working.

Tonight was the first night, and I feel defeated. Those kids were wild, and bad! I guess not all of them were bad, but the ones that were- were enough! Don't get me wrong, I like kids, and I even like preschoolers; I just like them individually and not collectively. My heart is really with teenagers, you know. Their attention span is longer than 5 seconds- you think I'm exaggerating? Seventh graders listen to me, that understand my authority; preschoolers- see me as fresh meat to devour!

Totals for tonight:
preschoolers in attendance: 3 rowdy boys; 1 calm boy; 4 precious girls- oh thank GOD for girls!
# of time-outs: three!
# of preschoolers I made cry tonight: two!

Well see what tomorrow holds... pray for me.. I need strength!

No comments: