Thursday, August 28, 2008

Song and Dance

As I mentioned before, I have a class of 32 8th graders. I'll be frank- I don't like 8th graders. (In case you couldn't tell from the last post.) I know I should group them all together like that, but seriously? Have you been stuck in a room with 32 of them all waiting for you to fail miserably so they can laugh at you? I don't know WHAT happens to them over the summer, but it's not good. They go from being squirmy, hyper, full-of-life 7th graders to "I'm too cool for that", attitude, apathetic 8th graders.

I'm sure not all 8th graders are apathetic- just most of my 32. About a 1/4 of my class is already burned out on school and it's only the second week! Yikes! I try to tell myself these kids are not mean spirited; that it is NOT their goal to see me fail...I try to remind myself that these kids are just victims of peer pressure and are too afraid to answer or do their work because they don't want to look like a nerd in front of their peers.

I knew this year would be a challenge when the teachers started making comments on my role sheet. This is the first year I've EVER strategically planned out where each child would sit ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! I mean, it took me an hour to do the seating chart! And these kids kind of scare me too... They are the kind of kids that could turn on you at any moment. I don't know if I have enough allies in there to make it!

So far they have been okay. Except that they are totally silent. I am trying to count my blessings that they are quiet, but when I say silent I mean- NO one will answer any questions or participate! They suck the life right out of me. I am totally drained by the end of 8th period! Teaching them anything will be an interesting challenge this year! I will be doing a LOT of praying!

1 comment:

Merissa said...

Guess I better be doing alot of praying for you too! Yikes!