Thursday, January 31, 2013

Starbucks at home

I am going to share something with you that may very well have changed my life!
Yes, it is THAT big!

Over Christmas break had decided that it was time to kick the Starbucks habit that had gotten out of hand in the Fall. I blame the Masters degree. Well, it didn't take long before I finally had to admit that I. AM. A. COFFEE. DRINKER. 
Yes. Somewhere between writing papers and working full time, I had acquired a daily addiction to caffeine. 

So, since I wasn't ready to tackle kicking it to the curb during the winter when it's cold and I need a warm drink in the mornings to get me going, I decided I needed Plan B.

Here is plan B:
 Isn't she beautiful? I have to confess that before I got my Keurig, I had  never once made my own cup of coffee. I had no idea how to do it. I also knew that in order to make this work, it was going to have to taste as close to my Starbucks drink (caramel macchiatto) as possible. So, I visited Starbucks several times, quizzing the baristas each time, and I think I've come pretty close to their creation.

And I am going to share it with you. First of you, a Carmel macchiato is actually made with espresso, but coffee, so this comes close, but is missing that strong taste. I recommend espresso instead if possible. It is not for me, so I got the next best thing, Starbucks DARK coffee. My favorites are Sumatra blend and French Roast Dark. I brew 7 oz and only use half then save the rest for the next day. I found out that a macchiato is actually only 2 shots of espresso which equals only about 2 ounces. Since I am using coffee instead, I use about 4 oz.
 Once the coffee is made, I add vanilla syrup to the coffee. I bought Starbucks brand, but there are other brands much cheaper. Personally I like this one the best. For a 16 oz drink, use 3 pumps of vanilla ( I think). I actually use 5 pumps (eek!). I'm trying to cut back, but...


Next, I measure fat free milk (you know, to make up for the vanilla syrup). I use about 10 oz. I heat it up so it is really steamy. 



Next, and this is the fun part, I pour the milk in the stainless steel pitcher and froth the milk! I bought this cool little hand held frother from Amazon. The idea behind the macchiato is that you actually put the syrup in first, then milk, then froth, THEN espresso so that you get the coffee first. I actually make mine upside down. Not  a fan of the strong coffee taste at first. So, next I add the milk to the coffee and then add the froth on top. Then get my yummy caramel drizzle for the top.


Viola! 


You might want to drink this yummy coffee while reading the comics. 




1 comment:

The Reeds said...

Oh my word.. I LOVE her hair! I know it's not the point of this post- but I've been off coffee for awhile now.. You know, procreating and being a milk maker and all. I've been off for over two years. Some day though, I'll come back to this!