Last Friday morning when I came down the stairs 20 minutes before work I could tell from a distance that Madeline's cheeks were flushed. This couldn't be good. A quick temperature check confirmed that she had a fever. Off we went to school to try to throw together some lesson plans quickly. We went to the dr fearing the flu only to be told it was a virus that should pass by Monday. We were geared up for a relaxing lazy weekend of recovering.
But Saturday she woke up with a cough. Other than the low grade fever and cough she seemed fine. She played and played all day. We decided to go to urgent care Saturday night since the cough was worse and fever wasn't going away. We asked the dr to check for the flu. The dr did reluctantly because she looked good. Much to his surprise, she tested positive for influenza B. This has been my biggest fear all season. A little girl in our district died of the flu a month ago. It is scary! And this strand seemed to be lasting a long time!
But she didn't seem too sick. We got a prescription for tamiflu just in case we needed it. Sunday proved to be no different. She was getting worse if anything. There wasn't a pharmacy
That could fill the prescription open on Sunday.
Finally Monday we were able to get the medicine, and she was getting worse still. Fever kept coming back, congestion and cough was preventing her from sleeping. And today was the worst of all. She didn't have any energy all day, didn't want to play with her toys and was whiny. She didn't even want to play dress up (which is a daily occurrence here).
Finally she got a good nap this afternoon which seemed to perk her up a little. Then after a good dinner she was a new girl. Of course at bed time she came to life! Her fever has stayed away for almost 24 hours and she was running around and laughing tonight.
What a relief! I think, I am praying, we are on the tail end of this thing! This is a busy important week at work. One that I was not expecting to take off work. But when Madeline got sick, everything else didn't seem important anymore. Just being able to be here and cuddle with my girl was all that mattered. I was expecting to get more house cleaned and organized with my days off, but instead I got extra books read to a toddler and lots of rocking chair time and snuggles. That was way better!
We are thankful God protected Madeline from sickness for most of the season. We are also so thankful that she had a mild case and seems to be getting better. We are also thankful that God was looking out for us and put us in the hands of good drs and great medicine! Madeline's awana verse this week is "I am with you always". So simple but so nice to remember this week.
1 comment:
Oh my.. how scary! And sounds like the story of the last 20 months of my life. I haven't gotten the cleaning or projects done I thought I would but I have read A LOT of kiddie books and spent a lot of time cuddling. Like... a lot.
I hope she's completely on the mend!
Post a Comment