
Today was a much better day. One of the couples we ran with were renewing their vowels at mile 5 at the "Run Thru Wedding Chapel". We were honored to be there guests and get special starting priviledges with the evli and showgirls. Everyone was in great spirits so early in the morning. What was crazy is that people were still out at 5Am, only they had not gone to bed from the night before!! Can you believe it?The start of the race was amazing! 10,000 runners all running at the same time down the strip. The lights lit up the street and fireworks went off overhead! It was cool! We all stayed together until mile 4 and then it was just too hard. My friend Christine and I were having to slow down, stop and look back to find the others. We decided to just keep going and meet up with them at the wedding chapel. We waited for about 5 minutes at the chapel, but we got there too early and would have to wait another 20 minutes to see the couples wed. We started to cramp up and decided we needed to keep going.
Mile 7,8,9 were hard. I was getting tired and my joints were hurting. Mile 9 a lady offered us gum, which I know sounds silly, but it made a HUGE difference! By mile 10 I was getting my second wind. I knew we only had three more miles to go, and they were going by fast! Before I knew it, we were at my 12. I started to pick up my pace and head to the finish line. I started to get emotional as I was coming to the end and the crowds were cheering us on. The problem was that as I started to get choked up, my air was being cut off and I couldn't breathe. I kept having to tell myself to get a grip until after the finish line!
It was a blast! Amazing! Beautiful day! Loved the run! We decided to come home today instead of staying another day. I could tell Aaron wasn't having a good time, and I just needed to sleep. It's nice to be home.
The run was fun, but I don't think Vegas is for us. There was so much sex everywhere! It was impossible to miss. Just not for us. I think we may be the only people to go to the Vegas Strip and not gamble!
3 comments:
Wow, what an exciting experience!
How do you go about training for something like that? I haven't run since we left for AFrica.. (almost 3 years ago!!!!). I'm desperate to get started again.. and desperate for my clothes to fit.... Help!
There are many training guides you can find on the internet. There are some to get you from the couch to a 5K and then they go up from there. This has been a two year experience for me. I started out 25 lbs heavier and not being about run more than a .25 mile! It just took a lot of time. I found a group of people to train with- that has made ALL the difference for me. I need that social aspect to stay motivated.
Post a Comment