Friday, April 27, 2012

Dear Madeline,
It's hard to believe that two years ago you looked like this. At 6 lbs. 14oz. your little feet didn't even fit in the socks, and the newborn outfit swallowed you up!



 Two years ago today, your father and I walked into the hospital anxious and super excited to meet you. It was not how I expected to walk in to the hospital. We arrived around 6am and it was quiet all around. We walked in almost like we were checking in to a hotel for the night. I wasn't in labor yet, and we were going to be induced.

After a long, boring day of walking the hallways, I wasn't feeling much of anything. Finally the doctor came in around 5pm and broke my water. That's when things got interesting. Had I known earlier how much pain I was in store for, I would've napped much more during the day. I labored until around 9pm and then we got an epidural. Thankfully, we were both able to get some sleep until the nurse came to check on me close to midnight. It was time for you to arrive.

I pushed for about an hour and a half, and then at 1:30am, you entered our world! I remember crying tears of joy and exhausting. I remember hearing your cry and seeing the elation on your father's face. I remember holding you right away and feeling instant love. A love so strong, I never could have imagined it existed.

After the excitement and adrenaline died down, I was one exhausted momma. The nurse helped me nurse you while I fought to stay awake. Then, your father let me get some sleep while he held you all night and talked to you. He told you how much he loved you and all about how special you are. It is one of my sweetest memories of your birth.

We went through 4 nurse rotaions in the labor and delivery ward: Autumn, RayAnne, Janelle, and finally Summer. I always thought it was funny that we started and ended with seasons because it felt like we had been in there for an entire season.

Finally the time came to bring you home. We hadn't slept much in the hospital at all. We had visitors all day long, and hadn't slept much that night. I remember the nurse telling me that I looked really tired. Like she was really concerned for me. I wanted to say, "Umm... don't you know I just had a baby? What I am supposed to look like?" But seeing these pictures now, I see why she was concerned. Boy do we look tired! And happy! So happy!

When we were walking out the hospital, I remember thinking, "There just gonna let us take this precious baby out of here? We're not even qualified!" And it was so weird having you in the car with us. I remember entering the house and thinking how different it felt.

Now, two years have passed, and I can't remember life without you! You are such a blessing to us. We love you more than we can ever say or show! You bring us such joy with all your words, laughs, actions, and sleepy sighs. I am so thankful that you chose me to be your mommy. That God blessed us with you. I am humbled by His graciousness.

You are growing into such a sweet, caring, fun little girl! I have loved growing with you to this point, and I can't wait to grow with you for many many more!

We love you always,
Mom and Dad

1 comment:

The Reeds said...

Happy birthday sweet Madeline!