Tuesday, August 11, 2009

For all you moms out there

I don't know how you do it! My 4 yr old and 6 yr old nieces are over for 36 hours and I am exhausted (and we still have almost a full 24 hrs. to go!). Some of you with kids may get a kick out of my lack of experience- but let me tell you, I am learning fast!
They arrived at 12:30pm sharp. I napped early anticipating a loooonnng busy afternoon. Surprisingly they hadn't slept for Grandma last night so they both went down for naps within the hour. For 2 hours they slept! It was like Heaven! My quiet house was so ... well peaceful. When they got up they played in the sprinklers for 5 minutes then we went to the mall. Emily (4yr old.) was feeling homesick (her words, not mine) so I thought shopping would cheer her up. It was 4pm at this point (I should have been starting dinner- but no, I'm out shopping with the girls). I did think to bring a drink and snack with us. We only went to one store that was having a sale. Sometime in the store I realized that Emily lost her pictures of her mom and dad (yes she carries around a picture of her mom and dad because she has serious separation anxiety issues stemming from tummy problems). Without telling her, I start looking around the store. Luckily I find them before she realizes they are missing.

5:30pm We get home to make pizza. That is when I realize that we accidentally put the pizza crust in the freezer. There was no hope. We rushed to Sam's Club (closest store) to get some canned pizza dough. Wouldn't you know they don't carry it. But they do "take and bakes". I had already promised the girls they could make their own pizzas and I couldn't go back on it now. I had to beg the food court to give me a pizza crust without any sauce or cheese. After MUCH convincing, they agreed to do it.
6:30pm pizzas are on the table and we are eating (after a messy start!).
7:45pm we head to the park. The girls are on their bikes. Emily is yelling, "jog, jog" to me as she rides. Emily insists on bringing baby alive with her but it won't fit on her bike. So, I am jogging while holding my cell phone and yes, you guessed it, baby alive!
9:00pm After playing at the park, taking a bath- which was an ordeal as well. The girls are ready for bed in their special bed in the room next to ours. Baby alives are both tucked in as well.
10:18pm Emily is asleep- IN OUR FLOOR, Hannah is not asleep (oh what a fun day it will be tomorrow) but is also IN OUR FLOOR.
Hannah knows not to wake us until the clock reads "6:00". I am seriously thinking of setting our clocks back one hour tonight. Genius! Right?
Throwing two kids on someone who doesn't have any is a major shock. Just have to make it until 7pm tomorrow. Can't wait to see what adventures tomorrow brings....

No comments: