Today my history day group had the opportunity to perform for the local Rotary club- which was awesome and they gave the kids money. The also got to go to the Holocaust Museum in Los Angeles and tour and perform. While our topic isn't on the holocaust, it is on civil rights, and fits into the umbrella of their museum so they invited us to come. First of all, it was such an honor just to be invited to perform at the museum. We called our primary source- Sylvia-and invited her to watch the performance as well. The whole project is about her and her family. The whole experience was moving and emotional. The museum had the Mendez family in their civil rights exhibit already- something we didn't know, and when we saw it, it brought us to tears! To learn about US changing history- from the person who lived it, and then see them be honored- is a moving experience!
We didn't get to tour the holocaust part of the museum, but we did get to meet a few holocaust survivors! I can't explain how powerful the whole day was. As tired as I am from all this "work" I've been doing for this history day group- today reminded me why. It was all worth it today. To perform our project for Sylvia herself- was amazing! To bring her to tears, was success. We know that we told her story well! As much as I can't wait to go to nationals and win, this was the highlight our this year's history day experience. If you ever have the opportunity to go to the Holocaust Museum in LA or DC, go, you won't regret it and I don't think your life will be the same for it.
This is when they got 1st at State.
No comments:
Post a Comment