So, I've committed to running a marathon this Sunday. I'm getting more and more nervous as the week goes on. The race is a relay marathon from Big Sur, CA to Carmel, CA, on Hwy 1. It is the most beautiful stretch of hwy anywhere and I get to see it upclose and personal. I ran two of the legs (the last 9 1/2miles) last year. I loved it. It was challenging because there are hills, but it was also so inspiring. There are over 10,000 runners entered. Once the runners start, they never stopped. It was this long, continuous stream of runners. There are musicians every two miles or so, tons of water and food stations along the way- and when you get tired, all you have to do is look at the ocean to your left, and you feel the motivation... well, we'll see about that...
I have been running, but I haven't done the training required for a marathon- let alone one with lots of hills. About mile 10, you climb for 2 miles and then drop for 2 miles! So, what was I thinking? Well, I want to do a marathon. I feel like if I'm going to do one, this is a good one and it's a good time. I'm thinking about having kids in the future, and this may be my only chance to run one before that. Plus, I'm not running alone. There are at least two other women I run with regularly that are running the full marathon. One of these women ran this last year.
My goal: to finish- which means under 6 hours because that is the race requirements.
My motivation: the BEST strawberries in the world at mile 22.
Aaron is running too. He is running the last 9 miles. He's going to wait for me the last 4 miles so we can run across the finish line together- or at least so he can carry me across. I am excited... and scared.
No comments:
Post a Comment