Sunday, September 1, 2013

My Summer in review

Whelp, it is Labor Day weekend- the official end to summer and it looks like I've fallen a bit (or a lot short) on my summer goals. Although we certainly filled our time and had fun. Sometimes I wonder where the time went!

What I planned to do this summer:
  • Do Preschool homeschooling for Madeline. We went to the dollar store. We bought supplies. I searched all the Montessori websites about how to teach my three year old her ABCs and how to write. I came up with lessons for the first week- which took FOREVER! and fun crafts, snacks, and activities. I went way overboard. I stressed about it! It had to be perfect!


  • Clean out the whole house from top to bottom. Clean baseboards, clean out closets, purge, purge, purge!
  • Take three classes to get a pay raise 
  • quit my coffee addiction
  • start/finish Madeline's baby book. I know... I'm a bad mom!
  •  Find and attend regularly a boot camp again this summer to get back in shape.
  • Run the San Francisco Marathon- all 26.2 miles
  • get pregnant
  • lesson plan for upcoming school year

What REALLY happened this summer:
  • Preschool homeschool lasted about three days. Then we just had fun with our art supplies instead of trying to push any real ABC learning. She LOVES to play with her art supplies and is recognizing a few letters and getting better at tracing letter. Who knew that kids aren't born with the knowledge of how to hold a pencil??!!
     
 
  • Not much cleaning went on at our house. Instead we made big messes and remodeled! Aaron installed the hardwood flooring on the stairs and all upstairs. He also painted the hallway and several rooms upstairs and is almost finished with the banquette seating area.
 
 
  • I was lazy all summer and didn't even sign up for any classes! I really felt like I needed the break mentally. Although that raise would've been nice.
  • Broke up with coffee a few times this summer but we always got back together eventually. What can I say... I just love it too much!
  • I took a lot of pictures of Madeline this summer and finally got some actually printed and all of them uploaded to my computer!
  • I found a boot camp. It was horrible. Started at 5am. Who was I kidding?! I was on Summer break! There was no way I could keep up 5am for long. It just wasn't worth my time.
  • Due to my injury, I was only able to train for 13.1 miles. I ended up running with a friend who needed the encouragement more than I needed a PR. I was slow. It was beautiful and fun! I was thankful for the hill training we did because it definitely paid off!
  • We did not get pregnant. After trying for over a year, we are trusting that God will allow us to have another child in the future. It has just been difficult surrendering that desire and my timing to Him and not giving in to the sadness every month.
  • Lesson plans during the summer?? Who was I kidding?? Didn't even think about it.
 
  • We went on vacation! To Disneyland for three days right at the beginning of Summer.  We had a blast! I fear we have ruined Madeline for all other things in life. Everything is now compared to Disneyland- other trips, fireworks on the 4th of July, etc. We met my Sister's family there for two of the days. Madeline got to stay up late and hang out with her cousins.
  •  
  • To San Francisco!! when I ran the San Fran half marathon. It was beautiful the whole time we were there! We stayed at Golden Gate Seminary (so wonderful) and visited Muir Woods for a quick hike before conquering the city. Madeline was such a trooper! She did amazing even though she missed a couple of naps!
To Lake Tahoe! This was an impromptu trip we planned late in the Summer. We had time, found a great condo for a great price and took it. We loved it so much we are planning to go back next summer and stay even longer. We played at the lake, road the "roller coaster" gondola up the mountain, hiked, and played in the village. It was so relaxing!

 
  • I learned to braid Madeline's hair, and it is FINALLY long enough for a braid! She looks so old with ponytails and braids!
  •  
She ate her first S'mores and LOVED it!

  • We played dress up! ALL. THE TIME. EVERY. DAY! Most of the time it was just Madeline dressing up, but on this occasion we got to join in! This is what Aaron had to wear- a Donald duck shirt.
  • And I had to wear my wedding dress! It barely fit! Didn't make me feel too great! Somehow I think Aaron got the better end of this game!

 
  • We did night swimming at the local pool. They had two themed swim nights. One was pirates and the other was Under the Sea. Madeline had a blast! I haven't heard her laugh that much in a long time!

 
She took Dance class with her best friend Elise. This was after they performed their recital. It was too cute for words!

 
We bought new bikes and went on several bikes rides. We love family bike rides!


We went on several play dates with her friend Elise. This one was to a local pottery store where the girls got to paint their own pottery.

 
And we danced! And danced! and had fun and acted silly! And spent lots of time together.

 
So, according to my To Do list my summer was a big failure. But looking at all we got to do, it was a success! Our Summer was great! I loved every minute of it except the part where it ended and I had to go back to work. We are planning many MANY trips to Disneyland this year, so it won't be all work and no play!
 
Sorry I've been MIA. If you are even still out there. We have been enjoying life.

 

1 comment:

The Reeds said...

So glad you're enjoying life. that's what counts. And it sounds like a complete success! Hopeful for a productive school year. ;)